Tourism Based Mobile Applications
Call for Proposal
Deadline October 09, 2019
The purpose of this mobile application is to offer people visiting Rodrigues a new way to discover the island as well as promoting all the activities and accommodations in the island.
Call for proposal
Discovery Rodrigues Company Ltd invites experienced organizations and individual developers based in the Mauritius and Rodrigues to submit proposals for the development tourism based interactive application designed for smartphones and tablet platforms (e.g., Android, Blackberry, iOS, Windows, etc.)
Developers must conduct beta testing of apps with target users. Discovery Rodrigues Company Ltd staff also might conduct testing of the mobile app to determine whether the right features have been implemented. Developers will be expected to address reasonable usability issues identified through this testing prior to release.
Proposals will be evaluated based on the following selection criteria:
1) The mobile app should address the needs of tourist/ visitors.
• Proposals should clearly target tourist/ visitors of any age, sex and regardless of their native language;
• Tourist/ visitors should be able to switch from English to French as well as Italian, Spanish, German and Mandarin;
• The main gallery of the mobile app should provide pictures and descriptions of the destination;
• A QR code reader should be available for the scanning of E- brochures;
• An interactive map should provide all the accommodations, activities, restaurants, bus terminals, view points, cultural sites, hiking tracks, banks, hospitals and any other useful information required for the stay of tourists;
• A link for each activities, accommodations and any other potential sites should be made available; and
• Other features might be added until release of the mobile app.
2) The app should be readily available for tourist/ visitors.
The download process of the mobile app should be easy, fast and reliable. As there are different mobile operating systems, the mobile app should be available on both IOS (App Store) and Android (Play Store). Either prior to their visit or at their arrival to Rodrigues, visitors should be able to scan the QR code of the mobile app on Play Store or App Store.
3) The app should be complementary and does not duplicate other apps on the marketplace or under development.
Priority will be given to apps that address innovative ideas, i.e., no existing apps are proposing this particular option. Proposals must include a review of similar apps currently available and a description of how the proposed app is unique from these.
4) The app must be technically feasible, and the developer should document the technical capacity required for development of the mobile app.
The developer must demonstrate the ability to successfully develop the app with available technology, expertise and resources. Issues of timeliness, cost, and return on investment in meeting the stated consumer need will be considered in judging the availability of necessary technical capacity.
5) The projected lifetime and maintenance plan of the app justifies the investment.
Proposals must include a budget and development timetable with specific milestones. Anticipated obsolescence and issues of sustainability, maintenance, and support from industry or user groups will also be considered in gauging the potential benefits of the app. Applicants should include a plan for follow-up and maintenance after launch of the app.
Proposals addressing the above criteria should be addressed to the Officer in charge, either deposited at Discovery Rodrigues Company Ltd, Rue de la Solidarité, Port Mathurin Rodrigues or sent by registered post or courier services. All submitted proposals would be held in confidence. In addition to the selection criteria noted above, Discovery Rodrigues Company Ltd will review the app proposal to confirm that app functionality is clearly specified, timelines for development, testing and deployment are acceptable, and the budget is reasonable given the scope and complexity of the app.
To assure accessibility to all reviewers, proposals must be submitted in .doc or .html format.
Proposal page limit: 8- 10 pages double spaced, 12 point font, time new roman, 1 inch margins (not counting resumes/CVs)
Proposals must be submitted on or before 09 October 2019 up to 15.00 hours at latest.